Downton In Bloom – Cancelled for 2020
The Royal Horticultural Society have decided to cancel their nationwide In Bloom competition.
There was little alternative – one of the themes had been “Grow Social” to encourage community engagement - and the timing of restrictions
as a result of Coronavirus remain very uncertain.
What a shame for communities and for Downton. After months of groundwork, we had many good things planned including :
- New tubs for the Borough and Moot Lane & bridge planters: parish council sponsored
- Hanging baskets on special delivery and planting in the Memorial Gardens,
- Tidy ups and bridge cleaning,
- An Art and Craft exhibition on the In Bloom theme of flowers and the environment.
The Moot was preparing to look its best for the judges; Open Gardens were planned; the Millennium Green and Green Groups, as well
as schools, were engaged with projects – from planting up boots to making willow structures and – and some businesses were offering
All this planning and effort will not be wasted – as, with luck and willing volunteers, we will be well placed to enter the In Bloom
competition next year.
There are now more important things for the community to think about – and, as you know, it is pulling together and adopting a good
neighbour response. But all is not lost for hopes of brightening the village:
- If restrictions on social distancing are lifted early we may be able to order the new tubs and get some of them planted out
during May/June (subject to availability of soil, plants and volunteers!)
- We will also be spending more time in our homes and gardens in the coming weeks , so front gardens could be looking pretty
good by the summer – we could even run a front garden competition
We all need something to brighten us up in these difficult times – and nature, even a small garden plot, a tub by the front door
or a hanging basket can give pleasure and be a source of well being.
And let’s look forward to entering In Bloom in 2021